Sunday, April 19, 2009

5k Update

Okay, for those of you who don't know I have started running again. I have a wonderful partner in crime who trains with me and it is working out great. We probably started running at the beginning of February, that was a sad, sad time. I couldn't even make it a mile, but we were persistant and kept with it and yesterday I ran my first 5k. It was great! The only race experience I had until then were high school track meets and cross country races, I am glad to say that this was nothing like that. Amanda, Greg (my father-in-law) and I ran it together, well kind of, we started together. It had been raining all day Friday (of course) and the course started in a ditch bank then worked its way out to the streets. I have had some issues with my right calf muscle lately and yesterday was the worst of it. Turns out I just need to invest in a good pair of running shoes, apparently the Costco special isn't really intended for actual races. Anyway, I never once gave up and made it through without walking (yeah for me...believe me at times I wanted to). So the final time came in at 30.31 minutes, about a 10 minute mile (and a whole minute faster per mile than expected). I finished 8th in my age group and 58th overall (out of 140). I am thrilled with the progress that I have made and cannot wait until the next race. We started this training for a 1/2 marathon that we will be doing in June, up in Durango, but after yesterday's race we are hoping to get in a 10k first.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I am so excited for you, way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! You rock!

ALLRED FAMILY said...

Wow! Great job!

Sara C. said...

Hooray! Good for you. 30.31? That is really good! I bet it was fun, sort of. Get some new running shoes, girl! My foot doctor likes Brooks, and so do I. Asics are good too.

Nick and Miriam said...

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, so CONGRATS! That's awesome! You're inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Good Job! Way cool! Miss u all.