Monday, March 30, 2009
Our first (probably not last) broken bones!
Rachel and Carson go to school out of district so I have to drive them to and from school everyday. On this particular day I get a call from Carson's kindergarten teacher (whom we adore) saying that Carson had fallen on his way out to the parent pick up line and she had him back in the classroom. When I get there she has him sitting with ice on his fingers, they looked fine. He had a couple of scrapes and was in tears. I took him home and he was clearly favoring his left hand (he is right handed). Upon closer look, his fingers were definately not fine. Furthermore, the sleepless night we both had that night really drove it home that he needed some medical attention (yes, I am one of those evil parents that make my children prove that there is a problem before we head for the doctor). So the next morning we head out, of course our regular doctor is off that day so we see another...he looks, grabs the form and we are off to x-ray. At first glance everything looks okay, he sends us out for ibuprofen. While down the street at Target we get a phone call, the radiologist looked over the x-rays and found three fractures. Now this is what gets me...this is all they do for us, make us come in for a referal (which was not needed later) and he needs to see an orthopedic. It is Friday, they can see him first thing Monday morning, 8 a.m.. Great, I have a 5 year old boy with 3 fractured fingers and they won't do anything for the entire weekend. To top it off, the following Monday was the first day of Spring Break, 4 kids at home. Good thing I have great friends who will watch my kids before 8a.m.. We get there, he looks over the x-rays, he has something called a buckle fracture and he tapes them. Can anyone tell me why we could not just do this the Friday before? He is recovering very well and is able to make a fist 10 days later, for this I am grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Holy cow! I swear they do it to milk every penny for doctor visits. That's ridiculous that they couldn't see you til Monday just to tape them. Poor Carson! Hope his fingers heal nice and fast!
Ouch! You've gotta love doctors. Hi Sam! I hope you dont mind, i got your blog off of Audrey's. =) You're fam is so gorgeous! I heard you are running a 1/2 marathon soon. That is awesome. Audrey, you, & I should all get together some time.
Okay, so the pink eye pic made my eyes water. You should have put some kind of warning on there like, "not for sensistive viewers". Sheesh, they're still watering! Poor thing! Having sick kids is such a hassel!
Post a Comment